List of Arsenal players as Publicans
In the summer Chris Jack, the Grandson of 1930’s exceptional player David Bone Nightingale Jack, got in touch with information about how DBN had run a pub after he retired from the game. So in mid October we met up with him at the very same pub, just up from the Angel tube station for a convivial chat.
This has since evolved into an attempt to list as many of the Arsenal players who took this, until recent times, favoured post playing route.
To that end here is the list. We know it is not complete – One of Donald Rumsfeld’s “known unknowns” – and would really appreciate if you could get in touch with us to add your information to the knowledge base, especially those of the players for whom we cannot find the names of certain pubs. Or if you know of other players who ran a pub please inform us so we can add their name to the list
Additions to our original list kindly sent in are added in this colour.
The list is split into North London and the rest, to make an “ex-Arsenal player’s pubs” pub crawl easier to organise after a game!
David Jack – Camden Head, 2 Camden Walk, London, N1 8DY- 1952-55
Leslie Compton – Hanley Arms 440 Hornsey Road, Islington – 1950s. Very sadly no longer functions as a pub. Though the Prince of Wales, 53 Highgate High Street, London N6 5JX which he later ran from 1962 onwards is still a going concern.
Vic Groves – Angel Tavern, 181 Fore Street, Edmonton N18 – 1966 to 1972. Since then it was demolished to widen the North Circular Road. Later he moved to The Crown and Horseshoes, 12-15 Horseshoe Lane, Enfield, Middlesex EN2 6PZ
Frank McLintock – Sutton Arms, 193 Caledonian Road, Islington, N1. No longer a pub and now called the Marathon Restaurant
Peter Storey – Jolly Farmers, 113 Southgate Road, Islington, N1 3JS now called the De Beauvoir Arms. He opened it in 1975 and it was here that the Gold Sovereign “conspiracy” bust in 1978 occurred for which Peter got a 3 year sentence at the Old Bailey 1980. This and other interesting football and non football misdemeanours can be found in his autobiography: True Storey.
Eddie Kelly – The Spanish Patriots, 14 White Conduit Street, off Chapel Street market. Now demolished and replaced with a Sainsbury’s car park.
George Armstrong – The Red Lion in Rothley, Leicester mid 1980s. Showaddywaddy were regulars: including their singer Dave Bartram and bass guitarist Trevor Oakes! Many thanks to Jill Armstrong
Joe Baker – The Central Bar in Craigneuk, North Lanarkshire in the 1970s. Many thanks to Andrew Nicoll
Geoff Barnett – George & Dragon, Middlewich Road, Holmes Chapel, Cheshire, CW4 7EA.
Cliff Bastin – Horse and Groom, 52 Fore Street, Exeter, Devon EX1 2QL. 1956. Now called the Heavitree.
William “Billy” Bannister – Grimshaw Arms, Temple Street, Burnley & a number of Leicester hostelries.
Warwick Bean – The Castle, Millers Lane, Outwood, Surrey RH1 5QB. Many thanks to Tom Rowan
Frank Bradshaw – Oak and Acorn Inn, Taunton 1926-30 and Cross Keys Inn, Norton Fitzwarren, Taunton, Somerset in 1930s
Billy Blyth – pub in Port Seton, Scotland.
Thomas Briercliffe – Infirmary Hotel and Waterloo Hotel, both in Blackburn – from 1907- to at least 1926.
Horace Cope – Lord Alcester, 100 Pym Street, Nottingham in 1950s to 1961
Archie Cross – One Bell Hotel, High Street/Lowfield Street Junction, Dartford – 1 November 1909 onwards.
Ray Daniel – pub in Swansea.
Charlie George – pub in New Milton, Hampshire
Mal Griffiths – Queen’s Head, Bull Head Street, Wigston, Leicester 1958-1969
Charles Boyd Hare – The Bell Hotel, Liskeard, Cornwall circa 1910
Richard Horsington – Fountain Pub, 132 Plumstead Road, Plumstead, pre WW1. He also ran the Weaver Mineral Water company based in Plumstead after buying it when founder GP Weaver died. GP Weaver was also landlord of the Invicta Ground that Royal Arsenal played on between 1890-1893.
Arthur Hutchins – pub in Peckham.
Caesar Jenkyns – George Inn, Holyhead Road, Moxley, Wednesbury, the Black Country. Circa 1905.
Tommy Lawton – The Magna Carta, Southwell Rd, Lowdham, Nottingham, NG14 7DQ. 1958-1962
Reg Lewis – Pub in South London
Anders Limpar – The LimpBar, a sports bar at Norra Bantorget in Stockholm. Many thanks to Andy Exley
Jimmy Logie – The Greyhound Pub, Kingsbury Road/Balls Pond Road, Dalston. Late 1950s
Malcolm Macdonald – Far Post, 37 Wigmore Rd, Worthing, West Sussex, BN14 9HH. SuperMac ran it from 1985 to 1987. He took it over as the Wigmore Arms and changed it’s name immediately to the Far Post. Demolished in 2005 for flats.
Hugh MacDonald – Melbourne Arms, 81 Sandy Hill Road, Plumstead SE18 after WW1. It is less than a mile from where the club began on Plumstead Common.
Bob McNab – pub in Tottenham 1980.
Peter Marinello – Marinello’s, 140 Leith Walk, Edinburgh, EH6 5DT. 1984 but now defunct.
Jackie Milne – pub in Carluke, Lanarkshire from 1947 onwards
Frank Moss – pub in Chorley from 1940s.
Terry Neill – Terry Neill Sports Bar Brasserie, 53 Holborn Viaduct, EC1A 2FD. Opened in 1993 and still going. He also had one in Hendon but is now defunct.
Isaac Owens – Consett Working Men’s Club in the 1910s.
Fred Pagnam – pub in Watford in 1920s
Ray Parlour – Ferry Boat Inn, Ferry Road, North Fambridge, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6LR. Recently acquired a part ownership in this ancient pub.
Bill Paterson – Crown Hotel, Auchterarder, nr Edinburgh from 1946
Jock Rutherford – The New Inn, Market Square, Biggleswade. 1930s.
John Radford – The Greyhound, Monk Street, Thaxted, Essex. Late 1970s, it is a grade 2 listed building.
Archie Roe – pub in Attercliffe, Sheffield from 1925
Charlie Satterthwaite – pub in Workington
Tommy Shanks – Victoria Public House, 55 Spring Road, Brightlingsea, Essex in the 1920s.
Geoff Strong – Hesketh Arms, Botanic Road, Southport, PR9 7NA. Co-owned with Liverpool team-mate Ian Callaghan in 1970s
Alan Sunderland – The Halberd Inn, 15 Northgate Street, Ipswich. Now called McGinty’s.
Norman Uprichard – Belmont Inn, Harold Road, Hastings
Ernest Clarke Williamson – Flower in Hand, Pitt Street, Norwich from 1924-27 and then the Mitre Tavern, 131 Earlham Road, Heigham, Norwich 1927-58
Allan Young – The Old Sergeant, 29 Parsonage Lane, Enfield. Recently demolished in February 2013. Many thanks to Chris Hudson
Willie Young – Bramcote Manor Hotel, nr Nottingham for 19 years.
Len Thompson in 1960s
Jock Rutherford in Neasden
Interesting source of photos:
Don’t forget to subscribe to the blog (top right). You know it makes sense.
- Woolwich Arsenal: The club that changed football – Arsenal’s early years
- The Crowd at Woolwich Arsenal – crowd behaviour at the early matches