Having recently tweeted the question: “What did John Barrett do 752 times for Arsenal between 1968 and 1997?”, we thought we’d pay homage to Arsenal’s prolific crossword compiler. Below are John’s first and last puzzles.
We thought we’d have a go at creating our own puzzle. Unfortunately, there aren’t too many crossword plugins for WordPress. We certainly weren’t going to fork out the best part of £50 for one so we’ve used the freebie below. It’s not a crossword in the strictest sense and it hasn’t got the greatest interface. Ironically, it works much better in mobile browsers than desktop browsers.
0:00:00 EclipseCrossword © 2000-2013
- 1. The darling of the North Bank.
- 2. The Arsenal Stadium _______, 1930s film.
- 3. Sailor.
- 4. Where Arsenal played their games in South London.
- 5. Arsenal's first manager
- 6. Arsenal appeared in 8 cup finals in his first 7 full seasons as coach (3,4).
- 7. Small by name, but not in stature.
- 8. First FA Cup Final opponents.
- 9. Great manager or rubbish forward
- 10. The home of football
- 11. Made first appearance in 1993 and still at the club.
- 12. Father and son who played for Arsenal.
- 13. Scorer of, arguably, the most famous goal in Arsenal's history.
- 14. Dynasty that was at Arsenal for more tha 90 years (4-4).
- 15. Only Arsenal player to score more than one goal in an FA Cup final (3,5)
- 16. Played most games for Arsenal during the 1970s (3,4).
- 17. Inspirational captain
- 18. Broke Cliff Bastin's goalscoring record (3,6)
- 19. Mercurial 1930s inside forward (4,5)
- 20. Scored 100 goals for Arsenal, top scorer in every season at the club.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the blog (top right). You know it makes sense.
- Woolwich Arsenal: The club that changed football – Arsenal’s early years
- The Crowd at Woolwich Arsenal – crowd behaviour at the early matches